Friday, January 1, 2010

Edinburgh (part 2): Grassmarket, Castle, Cullen Skink







Sorry I took so long to post again but yesterday and today I was busy visiting and such. Before I continue on about what I saw, let me say "thanks" to my Edinburgh guide, Scott. He showed me sites that were more meaningful to me than the typical tourist stuff (although he did not know it until I became animated) and we had great fun together at The Whisky Experience, where we sampled great drams including anCnoc, and Ledaig.

During our walkabout he mentioned a site called Grassmarket "where they hung a bunch of people". It turned out that Grassmarket was where the Convenenters were hung when they dared to take the stand that Christ, not the King, is the head of the church. Thanks to John, of Dumfries, for correcting my misunderstanding. I have attached a picture of part of the memorial. While down in that area I was able to take a picture of the back of the castle, and we decided to have supper at a wee pizza joint. I asked to see a menu and what had been a quick stop for a slice of pizza became supper that included a bowl of delicious, I've-never-had-it-before-but-it's-on-the-menu-so-I-must-try-it, fish chowder called Cullen Skink.

It was a full day beginning at about 08:15 when I headed off to the train station, walking, in the dark, arrived in Edinburgh at about 11, walked about, and because I had an "off hours" ticket, I had to wait until after 6:00PM before I could take the train back to Cambuslang where I walked back to the house, in the dark and snowfall, arriving safe and sound at about 8:30PM.

I am having great fun !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment