Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Jetlag, Coatbridge, Airdrie ...








Jetlag caught up with me last night. I went to sleep around 7PM and did not wake up until after 9AM this morning. I ate a quick bite, drank some coffee, got dressed and headed to the train station ... about a 15 minute walk. First stop was Coatbridge, the birthplace/hometown of my Grandmother Susan Robson Bryden. I found (actually, I stopped in a church for directions and one of the parishioners told me "I have a few minutes, I'll walk you down there."") the street, Buchanan, she lived on but the area has been renovated. Based on discussions with residents, I boarded a bus to Airdrie, where my great-great Grandparents lived, to view pictures of Coatbridge (and Airdrie) through the years. A very helpful lady gave me directions to the street, Callon, that Oliver Bryden lived on. Returning from Airdrie, I asked some patrolling police officers if they could tell me where 117 Main Street, where my Grandmother was born, is located but alas, that too is gone. Ultimately, I arrived back at where I am staying at about 7PM. A long, but informative day. Apologies for the poor formatting (lots of white space) but it is late (almost 11PM), I am tired, and I have to rise early enough, tomorrow, to make it to Edinburgh.

1 comment:

  1. That was GREAT M! Loved the pics and look forward to seeing them all when you return. It's so nice to talk to you each day; though you are far away, you seem so close. Your time there is short and precious so enjoy every minute; you'll have plenty of time to re-live it all as you relay your stories to me just as we have done with our Islay adventure...where this 'journey' began. LoveYouMuch! j

    ReplyDelete